Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bean Sandwich

Years ago an Irish musician friend of mine traveled to Egypt with his buddy. I told him I have always wanted to go to Egypt. I asked him what his trip was like. He told me they rented bicycles and traveled to see the pyramids and that they lived on bean sandwiches they bought from vendors. I was fascinated and never forgot it. Today I made my imagined version of the bean sandwich and I can't believe it took me 30 years to try it.

Toast 2 slices of home made pumpernickel bread. Paint one slice with mayonnaise and sprinkle with red chili flakes, add a slice of purple onion, roasted red pepper and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of mashed home made chic peas piled on top. Add a dash of Cholula hot sauce. It was the best hot day sandwich I have ever eaten!

This sandwich works with any kind of bean and is best when the sandwich is warmed to room temperature. I've been eating these sandwiches with fresh basil leaves added too.

Variation:
Take thin slices of tofu and sprinkle with soy and cider vinegar and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Place them on toast painted with mayonnaise along with roasted red peppers and red onion and Cholula hot sauce.
Enjoy!

0 comments: