Saturday, August 21, 2010

Meatloaf

Last night I had a craving for meatloaf. I was embarrassed, thinking "Who makes meatloaf in August?" I pulled out my favorite cookbook, Marion Cunningham's Supper Book, and read her meatloaf recipe. At the last minute I discovered we were out of carrots and celery so I substituted red potatoes, and the meatloaf came out great. We never have breadcrumbs because we eat all of our bread! So I substituted rolled oats in place of breadcrumbs. I also didn't use garlic, instead I used about a teaspoon or so of Adobo seasoning.

Meatloaf
adapted from Marion Cunningham's Supper Book
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion
5-6 medium sized potatoes
1 pound ground beef (chuck or round)
1/2 pound pork
1 teaspoon or so of Adobo seasoning
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
a dash of salt
fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
(or 2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce - we use Cholula)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2/3 cup water or beer or a little of both

Method:
Preheat oven to 350
Grate the potatoes, chop the onion. Heat oil in a large skillet and fry the onion and potatoes. When everything starts to stick add the water and/or beer. Saute for about ten minutes until soft. Don't be afraid to incorporate the blackened crust that forms from the potatoes sticking to the bottom of the skillet. It's delicious! In a large bowl put the meat and all the other ingredients. When the potatoes and onions cool off a bit, put them in with the other ingredients in the big bowl. Mix everything together with your hands and gently pat into a mound on a 11x17 baking dish. (If pressed together too firmly the meatloaf won't remain moist and tender). Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.

0 comments: