Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Animal Farm

Yesterday I boiled lamb bones I had in the freezer, and today I skimmed the waxy fat off the top and am baking lentils in the stock with olive oil. It smells fabulous. I have leftover egg nog that I am defrosting and might pour over snow to make snow ice cream. I made corn tortillas from instant masa for lunch. I'm getting faster at using the tortilla press and cellophane. My new orange cat is crazy about corn, just like our former orange cat was. Lily tried to leap into my lap on all fours while I was sitting in the cozy chair. She's a dog who thinks she's a lap cat (and I only encourage it). The cat sits like a meatloaf on the cold kitchen linoleum. He thinks he's a dog. I am not sure I'm a person. I know I am part Labrador, but my scalp wants to be scratched like a cat's.

I am thinking of painting the cat crate to look like a motorcycle shop so when the cat sits inside purring, it will sound like a Harley repair shop. As it is we've strung up all the hair ties and little figurines we've collected over the decades to dangle for our new cat. Anyone visiting will think we're living in a gigantic cat toy. Perhaps we are! Sammy has played the piano and tapped the typewriter and been hypnotized by the snow falling out the window. He absolutely loves to chase the tennis ball and pounce on it, but he has to compete with 75 pound Lily if she sees him. They are getting quite intimate. Sammy gently bats Lily like a boxer. Before long I'm sure they will be whirling each other around like dancers.

0 comments: