Saturday, August 18, 2012

One Pot Meal


Recently I bought 6 Italian sausages on sale at my local butcher shop. I had decided to make a tomato sauce with them, but ended up making a delicious one-pot meal. I am recounting it here to share and also so I can do it again next time on purpose.

I put two large cans of crushed tomatoes in my crock pot and then added the sausages. Since I didn't have a third can of tomatoes I decided to chop three large onions and add them. I added a bunch of fresh whole peeled cloves of garlic knowing they would break up as they cook. I opened a can of pitted black olives and chopped them all and added them. I let everything simmer for hours. Then spontaneously I decided to add the jar of vegetable stock (broccoli water) I had kicking around in the fridge. Was it going to become a soup? No. I decided to add a pound of whole-wheat elbow macaroni and let it cook for twelve minutes. Then I turned off the crock pot so the macaroni wouldn't overcook and become mushy. What I had was a delicious one-pot meal that tasted like lasagna. It was even better the next day.

0 comments: