Thursday, January 16, 2014

Corner Market

I love to go into the new Dominican bodega because the family is lovely and it is clean and packed to the gills with great stuff. Yesterday I spotted a row of the cute little stovetop espresso pots, an assortment of dried chilies, and goat milk caramel lollipops. The family doesn't speak English and I don't speak Spanish but I know a little French. But we all smile and manage fine. The market has flashing lit up neon red and yellow OPEN sign and a blue and green ATM sign in their window. They recently hung colorful banners on the outside of the building "We take Master Card and Visa", "We Accept EBT". Last night while having soup at the table I could see the colorful store lights flashing through our brown bare shrubs. I said "Look Bill, it's our little piece of Times Square."


0 comments: