Monday, November 24, 2008

A Little Bit of Lard

Sunday we had a house brunch the cowboy breakfast I've been dreaming of for years! I baked two large braided sourdough loaves while our guest was asleep. I baked a few skillets of thick cut bacon, a dozen eggs, to invite him down for breakfast! I roasted five pounds of potatoes in the leftover bacon fat. Today I feel like I can run a hundred miles. A little bit of lard is a good thing!

Don't you find it funny that the foods in many traditional diets - starting with breast milk and moving on to coconut oil, butter, eggs, and pork fat - are loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol, yet people who eat these traditional foods liberally don't get heart disease? Nor are they fat or diabetic.

I believe the conventional wisdom on traditional foods is mistaken. The so-called diseases of civilization - obesity, diabetes, heart disease - are not caused by real food. The diseases of industrialization - as I call them - are caused by the foods of industrialization.
-Nina Plank, Real Food

0 comments: