Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Simmering Soups

May the winter soup pot never be dry! My braided sourdough bread is rising next to the boiler. My baked chicken carcass made an excellent stock especially since I accidentally baked it for 7 hours! I lost track of time. It made a fabulous stock which when cooled I skimmed the schmaltz and then made a Chinese soup with the gelatinous stock adding more water and a few tablespoons of natural smooth peanut butter as a thickener and Chinese vegetables bok choy and Chinese broccoli as the main ingredients. I also threw in whole mushrooms and Brussels sprouts too, and bean thread noodles I found in the back of my cupboard. I also added dashes of mushroom soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, Asian hot sauce, bloops of olive oil and sprinkles of salt. Soup is my friend.

1 Comment

Victoria Thorne said...

always look forward to your new posts...and adore soup, also...it seems, often to me, like a metaphor for life. good soup. good life.