Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan

Eggplant parmesan had been my favorite food for decades before it finally dawned on me that I should learn how to make it. I consulted one of my favorite cookbooks: We Called It Macaroni By Nancy Verdi Barr

Slice two large eggplants paper thin. Salt both sides (I like Kosher salt) and let drain in colander.

Forget about them for an hour. Come back and rinse the salt and then stack up the slices between two plates weighed down with a few cast iron pans. Let drain for an hour or more.

You can then refrigerate the whole deal in a plastic container and make it another day if you wish.

When you are ready, scramble five eggs and pour into a glass pie plate. Dip three or four eggplant slices at a time in the egg to coat both sides. Then fry in a 1/4 cup of hot olive oil in a large frying pan (if electric, set at 375 degrees). The slices cook in seconds, turning golden on each side. When cooked lay them on paper towels or a paper bag to drain the oil. You may want to use long handled tongs to avoid occasional oil splatter. When done and slices are drained, place slices in oven proof dish over a layer of tomato sauce. Then alternately layer the eggplant slices and the tomato sauce thinly and bake at 375 for ten minutes. I use two and a half quarts of tomato sauce to cover the eggplants.

Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan. Enjoy with a green salad.

1 Comment

Vague Moon said...

Em,
You can also dredge them in egg and then flour, sometimes my dad would do a double dredge which was egg, flour and then egg again.

You made me want to run out and buy some eggplants in order to make this great dish. (
Also my family sometimes used large Zucchini in the same way, it is just as delicious)