Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Caponata

Last night I made Caponata! It was so fast and delicious - perfect for a hyper active impatient cook! I sauteed chopped onions, cubed eggplant, chopped kalamata and regular black olives, tons of fresh garlic cored and chopped-in-salt, sprinkles of red chili flakes, a large can of diced tomatoes, freshly chopped basil, 2 bags of fresh spinach. I usually add chopped celery and Job Lot capers too. I simmered it in my Dutch oven, uncovered, on the stove top. We ate it as a stew for supper with fresh bread and chunks of Romano cheese.

From Wikipedia

Caponata is a Sicilian aubergine dish, a cooked vegetable salad made from chopped fried eggplant and celery seasoned with sweetened vinegar, and capers in a sweet and sour sauce.

[1] Numerous local variations of the ingredients exist with some versions adding olives, carrots and green bell peppers, and others adding potatoes, or pine nuts and raisins. There is even a Palermo version that adds octopus, while an aristocratic Sicilian recipe includes lobster and swordfish garnished with wild asparagus, grated dried tuna roe and shrimp.[2] However, these last examples are exceptions to the general rule of a sweet and sour cooked vegetable stew or salad.

Today, caponata is typically used as a side dish for fish dishes and sometimes as an appetizer, but since the 1700s it has also been used as a main course.

Caponata is an example of the aubergine-tomato combination that is found in many Mediterranean cuisines, such as Provençal ratatouia, Catalan Samfaina, Maltese kapunata and the different moussaka found in the eastern Mediterranean.

1 Comment

Unknown said...

Em, It is a blast to read your food blog! We have been eating lots of the same things. I will miss all the fresh veggies in the garden. Soon the farmers market will end too on Nov21st.
When I went to Italy nearly two years ago, I stayed the first night in Rome. I was being hosted by the sister of one of the farmers at our market. Beth, my host, was happy to have a chance to make dinner together. I was exhausted and felt a little ill after all the flying overnight. Beth asked me to make caponata.I put on my apron I packed from home and took one of Beth's knives. I began chopping the eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and garlic. As I drew the knife up and down, chopping away, all the tension and tiredness I had felt, went away.Cooking the caponata was such a familiar calming task. I was happy again doing what I love.
love,
Sasha