Sunday, March 11, 2012

Whole Wheat Pizzelle Recipe

3 extra large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn oil
2 pinches of Kosher salt
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon vanilla (experiment with anise, almond, lemon and orange extracts). You can also add grated lemon and orange zest.

Mix eggs with whisk, add sugar slowly, and oil, and keep whisking. Grease the pizzelle iron. When iron is hot use a heaping teaspoon to measure for each large pizzelle. They cook for 30 seconds each. I use a kitchen timer.
Just like with waffles, your first few pizzelles will be funky but delicious then they will come out fine. They will be a pale cafe au lait color but get slightly darker as they cool. I use a spatula to get them out. Let them cool to crisp. Store in a tin lined with paper towels.

This makes a bunch! They are delicious with tea and coffee.

Next I will try cocoa pizzelles as vanilla ice cream sandwiches.

When I made these with Ms Roberts first grade class at Harris Elementary, we shaped the pizzelles over paper cones to cool and then kids ate them filled them with vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

Vague Moon said...

you make me miss the family elders and their desserts!

Erin said...

Thank-you for this recipe. I wanted a whole wheat pizzelle recipe to make tonight and yours came up on a Google search. I like buttermilk as well, I'll keep reading your blog. Have a great evening.