Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Oaties: Oatmeal Raisin Bars

As much as I think about making them, I have no patience for cookies. So I took a cookie recipe and added a little moisture (black coffee) and baked them as bars. 15 minutes to go. . . we'll see.

Here's what I used:

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup white sugar minus two tablespoons
2 Tbs molasses
2 eggs
1 teasp vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teasp kosher salt (more to taste)
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (non instant)

The batter was dry so I added coffee to moisten it. You could use tea or water or milk.
cinnamon-- a few dashes
1 cup of dark raisins

I used my mixer to cream the butter and sugar and then I added the other ingredients. Taste the dough and decide if it needs more salt. When I use whole wheat flour and kosher salt sometimes you need to add more salt due to the oiliness of whole wheat. I spread half of the batter in a greased square Pyrex baking dish. I refrigerated the other half of the batter for another day. I baked them at 350 for 30-35 minutes. They look like blonde brownies.

They are great!

I took the remaining batter and made cookies and liked them. I will make them again minus 1/2 cup sugar and try adding semisweet choc chips.

0 comments: