Friday, January 22, 2016

Buckwheat Flap Jack Supper

I couldn't resist. I described my favorite buckwheat pancakes to my friend Joe and how I must make them for our next lunch. Next thing I knew I was throwing all of the ingredients in a bowl tasting and adapting. I don't follow recipes even my own. I open the fridge and see what needs to be reincarnated. The secret is buttermilk or sourdough. The natural fermentation makes the pancakes light and fluffy although I always say that pancakes are like cadaver cheeks.

Here's the cheat sheet:

1 1/4 c flour (buckwheat and whole wheat)
1/4 c sourdough starter and flour (not necessary but I had some to use up)
1/2 teasp baking soda
1 teasp salt or more to taste (kosher salt)
1 teasp cinnamon
1/2 teasp real vanilla
2 eggs beaten
1 1/4 buttermilk
1/2 c favorite puree or freshly sliced apple or banana
1/8 cup corn oil
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs molasses

0 comments: