Monday, July 13, 2009

Big Yellow Cornbread

If you love corn you'll love this cornbread! I've been making this recipe for years baking the batter in big round cast iron skillets and when baked I cut the bread into triangular wedges. This weekend for the first time I made this cornbread in my cast iron Bundt pan! It baked for an extra ten minutes. It usually bakes for 45 minutes in a skillet. This recipe was originally a muffin recipe but I doubled it and never looked back! I find that the bread is nice and moist when you bake it as one bread rather than as muffins. In the summer I keep the bread in the fridge to prevent spoiling. This cornbread is fantastic with tea and is a great travel + picnic food. We spread slices of the cornbread with peanut butter and sometimes we eat it with sharp cheddar cheese and apples. I use medium grind whole wheat flour that I buy in 50 pound bags from JAR Bakers Supply in Lincoln RI but some folks may prefer half white flour and half whole wheat flour or all white flour. If using a lighter flour blend you may want to use less salt. I have also baked this bread with a few chopped apples added to the batter or chopped onions which become very sweet when baked. Try adding dried cranberries! Replace some (or all) of the milk with yogurt for a tangy treat. All the variations are delicious!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix up batter in a big bowl with whisk, fork or wooden spoon.

4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup corn oil
2 cups yellow corn meal
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons baking powder

Grease your skillet or pan with vegetable shortening. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes if using a skillet or shallow pan, longer for a deeper loaf pan. A skewer should come out clean, and the top should be lightly browned. Let cool for 15 minutes and then turn out onto a rack to cool further.

0 comments: