Sunday, October 16, 2011

Meat Loaf

Last night I made a one pan meatloaf that was so good I want to write down exactly what I did. I used my big 12" cast-iron frying pan for cooking, mixing, and eventual baking.

First, I preheated the oven to 350 degrees. Then I chopped four large carrots, three stalks of celery and one large onion and sauteed them on high heat in olive oil for about ten minutes, stirring often until softened. Then I added 1/2 cup of cold water to deglaze the pan. I let it all cool off and added a half pound of ground pork and one pound of ground beef and 6 slices whole wheat bread, cubed. Then I spontaneously added a quarter cup of sliced pepperoncini and 3 cloves of garlic, chopped. I seasoned the mix with my usual sprinkles of black pepper, salt, six to eight dashes of Worcestershire sauce, sprinkles of Adobo seasoning, and 1/4 cup of ketchup. I mixed it all with my hands (fun!) and gently shaped it into a football-shaped mound in the center of the skillet, and baked it for fifty minutes. The meatloaf was so good I ate it for dinner and dessert and then for breakfast this morning.

0 comments: