Friday, December 14, 2012

Britt's Pickles

Britt has always been fascinated by the health benefits and old world wisdom contained in the process of creating and consuming fermented foods — sauerkraut, known as the poor man’s penicillin; kimchi, and naturally-fermented pickled…anything.

My father was raised in New Orleans, and the influence of his culture on the foods in our Connecticut home were unmistakable – there was always a bevy of condiments on the table, including spice mixes, sauces, and pickled you-name-it – beans, okra, peppers.

Over the past decade in the late summer I have put up a variety of pickled vegetables using produce that I grew or bought at the local farmers market. When I moved back to Seattle in 2010, I began to experiment with fermenting cucumbers with garlic and spices into half sour and full sour pickles, cabbage into sauerkraut, and napa cabbage and a medley of other vegetables with chili and ginger paste into kimchi. I sent samples out to family and friends, and it soon became clear that there was a need for great tasting, naturally fermented, fresh-packed, live, nutritious foods. And I decided to build a business that serves the local market and community of customers and whenever possible local growers.

-Britten Eustis
Source

0 comments: