Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Surprise Summer Soup

I never know what I am doing in the kitchen. I think I cook the same way I make a painting. Yesterday the six hot Italian sausages my husband bought were speaking to me while I was working. "You better do something with me or throw me in the freezer." So I put them in the slow cooker and added three cans of pureed tomatoes, I chopped about seven ribs of celery, two large white onions, four carrots and let them simmer thinking "Am I really making spaghetti sauce in a heat wave?" Then, when I opened the fridge the quart of leftover potato stock from Saturday's 'cooked' potato salad spoke to me. "Throw me in!" So I did. The garlic said "Me too, or I'll go bad" So I chopped up a whole bulb of garlic, and added that in too. I also added a splash of red wine. After a few hours of simmering I poured the soup into a metal pot that I submerged in a bucket of cold water for rapid cool down before placing in the fridge. We ate it cold with an ice cube in each bowl. It was delicious and refreshing.

0 comments: