Sunday, November 16, 2014

Slow Toasting Granola

I discovered that I must bake my granola very low and slow in order for the oats to lightly toast. They need to dry out and yet retain the flavor of the vanilla. I bake it in my 12" cast iron skillet rather than baking sheets. I preheat the oven and bake it at 275 for 40 minutes stirring every 15-20 minutes. Then I lower the temps to 200 and bake for another 15 or 20 minutes and then I turn off the oven and leave it in to catch the residual heat.

Ingredients:

1 cup corn oil
1 cup regular unsulfured molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 standard cardboard cylinder of old fashioned rolled oats

Heat the oil, molasses, salt, and vanilla in a deep pot until very hot. Stir and then pour in the oats. Take the pot off the heat. Stir to completely coat the oats. Mix as if it were an oat salad. Pour onto baking sheets or skillets and place in preheated 275 degree oven. If you use a few baking sheets and spread the oats thinly they will toast faster. So stay nearby and stir frequently to avoid over toasting.

0 comments: