Thursday, November 5, 2015

Biscuit Memories

I went to Joblot today (it is a minor addiction and I need a monthly fix). I remember, as a tiny child, eating digestive biscuits and drinking hot chocolate as a treat when we would take to the bomb shelter during the terrible nightly raids over Southern England! Going there is like going on vacation. Then I went to "The Big Bunny" supermarket in the Asian and Latino laden town of Southbridge. They have wonderful veggies at 1/2 the price of the supermarkets in places like Northhampton whose clients also seek out Thai eggplants and 20 different kinds of hot peppers. I also shop at an amazing market (Asian) in Worcester, that would scare the shit out of my Worcester acquaintances just by the pungent smell as you go in the door. It also assuages my wander lust. Very few items have prices and the owners speak little English but the total on the receipt makes me think it is cheap. I miss and mourn Egypt terribly. The Dominican Republic and Egypt are my 2nd and 3rd homes - really deeply rooted.
Oh! Its suddenly dark! And snow due tomorrow.
-A.P.

0 comments: