Monday, January 8, 2018

Simmering Homade Tomato Sauce

I have been dreaming of Italian food for a few days so today I set up a tomato sauce using our last locally smoked Polish sausage, a head of chopped celery, 3 big carrots diced, 3 cans of crushed tomatoes, 2 cans of black olives chopped, a few cloves of garlic diced, a splash of cheap port wine and olive oil. I have not added any more herbs or spices because today the smoked sausage is my spice. Simmering the sauce over time will complete the magic.
Update: I decided to add basil, oregano, bay leaves parsley and tomato paste. The sauce was magnificent and the tiny bits of chopped sausage absorbed the Italian flavors. We ate it with a pressure-cooked pound of cavatappi pasta ( ready in 3 minutes) and pressure-cooked chick peas (as tiny meatballs) and parmesan reggiano grated fresh, on top.

0 comments: