Friday, November 16, 2012

Bread Alive

I stayed up late and mixed up my new JAR Baker's Supply medium grind Dakota Mills whole wheat flour:
six cups of flour, one tablespoon of Kosher salt, one teaspoon of Fleishmann's Instant (not rapid-rise) yeast and 2.5 to 3 cups of luke-warm water. The dough will be wet. This is good.

My kitchen is 45 degrees. The rising is S-L-O-W but slow cold rising develops the flavor.

Stand back. The dough makes itself. The gluten is activated by time. Cover and put away from pets. Go to sleep or go to work. When it slowly rises (hours later) shape into orange sized balls and let sit on baking sheet for another hour. They will rise some more. Then preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Bake the mini boules super hot for 20-35 minutes depending on the flour you use. They will be the size of grapefruits and even if they aren't, they will be delicious.

Maybe I am simple minded but I never tire of the excitement of live dough!

0 comments: