Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Spontaneous Pot of Meatloaf

I often don't know where I'm going when I cook. I just begin with my hunger. It is just like how I write or make a painting!

Last night, I was outdoors in the damp and biting cold walking Lily. I ran into a friend who was also walking her dog, we walked together telling stories. Then I came home and read. Then suddenly I was HUNGRY, and I remembered the frozen beef! I took two frozen beefcakes (two muffin size blobs of chuck) and threw them in my cast iron dutch oven on high and stirred the frozen blobs while tossing in freshly chopped onions. The meat defrosted as I kept stirring and adding things; chopped carrots + celery, Worcestershire sauce, a dash of ketchup, Adobo, Cholula, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, sourdough slices cubed. I added canned crushed tomatoes, I taste tested, (yum) and added more tomato and more bread. Then I placed it in the oven at (350) to bake a bit, but mostly keep warm until Bill got home 20 minutes later. It was excellent! I will do this again on purpose next time.

0 comments: