Saturday, May 23, 2009

Grilled Beets

Last night we fired up our Weber grill using hardwood charcoal. I ran in the house and sliced a bunch of beets into thin discs with the skins left on. We threw them on the grill for 5 minutes and then flipped them, brushing their dry sides with a mixture of olive oil, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar, and then grilled them for another four minutes. Fabulously sweet and crunchy! Then I sliced big white onions the size of grapefruits into discs and grilled them too! I threw green beans into a skillet of water, doused them with the same olive oil, soy sauce, and vinegar mixture, and put that on the grill to steam. I filled another cast-iron pot with black beans I had cooked the day before, and brought them up to boil, uncovered, on the grill. We threw on some sliced sourdough bread slices and toasted them. Then we shaped two pounds of chuck into 7 beef patties and grilled them. Everything was so good we ate the leftovers for breakfast and lunch this morning!

5 comments:

Paul Jay said...

Did you do all of this at, like, 3:00 in the morning? Is that why you've got the insomniac's kitchen? Anyway, all of this sounded gloriously frenetic and I loved reading it. I stumbled on your entry because I wanted to grill some beets and it popped up in a Google search. Feeling authorized by your approach I sliced the beets into 1/2 inch circles, drenched them in olive oil, then grilled them until they got blackened and crisp. Then I served them on a bed of lettuce with crumbled goat cheese on top. Try it. At 3:00 in the morning.

Urban Mermaid said...

Thanks Paul!
~Emily

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post. All I can say is yummers. And, I found this the same way Paul did. I'm off to the kitchen and grill. Thanks again. (I work at an organic farm: Angelic Organics, owned by Farmer John of The Real Dirt on Farmer John movie fame. I've got lots 'o beets.)

Urban Mermaid said...

The grilled beets are best made from large orange-sized beets!

Urban Mermaid said...

In Fall and Spring the insomniacs kitchen is hopping from 4am until 11PM!