Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dulce de Leche

Yesterday I made dulce de leche for the first time. It is made by slowly heating sweetened milk to create a sweet that derives its taste from caramelized sugar. Literally translated, it means "candy made of milk". It is popular in Latin America, especially in Argentina and Uruguay.

There are many ways to enjoy it - on toast, pancakes, ice cream or just by the spoonful!

To make it I simmered a peeled, sealed and immersed can of sweetened condensed milk in my Presto crock pot for three to four hours. The fourth hour it sat in the hot water with no additional heat. I found instructions in my cookbook Daisy: Morning Noon and Night by Daisy Martinez.

There are many methods out there for making dulce de leche; using the oven, microwave, pressure cooker, stove top or crock pot. Find the method that suits you the best.

0 comments: