Sunday, September 30, 2012

Surprises or Dumpster Diving

I was just telling Bill how when I find food on my walks I eat it, provided it is unopened. It is a fun pleasure like eating food in other people's kitchens when I was 12 and baby sitting the kids on my street. I have found beverages, Coca Cola last week, Mountain Dew last winter, Red Bull; I still have that one unopened, Gummy Bears that were run over, they were fun. Once years ago we found two number ten cans of canned beans and canned corn on the dirt road behind our studio. They were just labeled BEANS, CORN bold black type all capital letters, without any brand name just like government issued food. We took them home and ate them with enthusiasm. Last week I found a whole bag of canned veggies and canned fruits next to the local diner's dumpster - the cans are expired but who cares! I brought them home and stored them in the cellar cupboard for blizzard weather. (I haven't told Bill about those cans yet!)

Last night I made little round banana breads the size of hamburger buns from six over-ripe bananas. We slice them sideways and they are round in the toaster, very good with yogurt cheese. Squash pie for breakfast with yogurt cheese was very good too.

I love making coleslaw using buttermilk. I am crazy for cabbage!! Proof that I was adopted.

Our dairy band of nine musicians will be the Moonlight House of Wieners Marching Band this Monday morning October 8 9:30 AM at the Autumnfest Parade right here on our street.

0 comments: