Thursday, November 6, 2014

Two Pots of Gloop

It's another rainy day. My gloominess lifted when I started making a pot of gloop.

I rinsed 2 cups of brown rice and a pound of dried lentils and added water to cover. I added 3 cans of crushed tomatoes a leftover rind of Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons of pesto, 3 lbs chicken tenders chopped (on sale special at Jamie Sullivan's Shaw's meats today), 6 carrots chopped, a gigantic bell pepper, 6 ribs of celery, chopped, 5 cloves of garlic chopped, and 3 onions chopped. I added Adobo, salt, freshly ground black pepper, a half a can of beer and olive oil to taste.

The rice had expanded more than I remembered it would so I had to add more water and ended up using a total of three cans of crushed tomatoes. I ended up with two big pots of gloop. It came out good. It's a soothing supper porridge. There are plenty of leftovers for future days. It's a little overwhelming to have so much of the same thing but I can freeze most of it in a bunch of smaller containers - six of them. I can always defrost and add stock to one or two of them making the gloop into a spontaneous soup.

I used to make gloop all the time when I was in my twenties, and a vegetarian. At least now there's some bites of delicious chicken thrown in making it a complete dinner.

With all of this we're prepared for surprise visitors or a snowstorm but I can't help feeling a little bit like Oliver Twist.

Update:
It tastes great today. I added a little more water and my favorite Cholula Mexican hot sauce. It was a perfect lunch.

0 comments: