Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Yogurt Makers

My mother (and several generations of her family) have made homemade yogurt using the technique you mentioned. Indian cooking generally requires a lot of yogurt and she has made large batches at least every 3-4 weeks (4-5 large quart sized containers) for as long as I can remember. The neatest part of this experience is that she keeps a little of the yogurt from the previous batch and uses it as a starter for her next batch, thereby never ever running out of it. After boiling the milk and pouring them into the containers (with a little starter in each), she places them in the oven to keep warm overnight. The next morning, the containers are placed in the fridge for use.
I have yet to find store brought yogurt that even comes close in taste to what my mother makes every month.
- Sheil Makan

My grandmother who lived in Europe did the same thing, she used the culture from previous batch. However, I learned that milk in US is different, I assume they put many enzymes and other fillers that will make different type of yoghurt. What I do is I boil the milk I get from the store, it seems to work better, then I cool it till I feel with my pinkie it is the right temperature, I put the culture, cover it with a blanket and it is ready for tomorrow. If you leave it longer it will make it sour. This is my grandma's recipe.
- Natalie Smith

love to take the thick yogurt and make Lebanese Labneh. mix in a teaspoon of kosher salt to a pound of yogurt. Put a cheesecloth in a colander and sit on the counter, covered, to drain overnight. comes out somewhere close to cream cheese, but more tart and fresh tasting. Mix in a little lemon zest and olive oil. oregano and chopped kalamata olives if you like. serve with pita. YUM!
- Verum Nocet

source

0 comments: