Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Remember the Potato

I finally took a break from basmati rice and remembered "the potato". I have a ten pound bag of potatoes in the closet growing eyes! I sliced the potatoes thinly and cooked them in my Dutch oven with an inch of water, about a quart. By the time the potatoes were done, the water had boiled away. I served them with freshly grated sharp orange-colored cheddar cheese on top with salt, pepper, and olive oil; a simple and good supper to go with leftover broccoli. I never feel poor or deprived when I have vegetables to eat.

Because it was warmer today - above freezing and the sun warm - I made my summer carrot salad which is fast, easy and colorful. To make this salad I grate a one pound bag of carrots (unpeeled), drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top, and add raisins. The only laugh was that there was a lot of orange color to our supper. Last week we had cauliflower and white rice and carrots - an almost albino meal. In 7th grade my home economics teacher Miss Hoenig showed us slide shows about things you should not do in the kitchen and one of them was serve a whole meal of one color. What was ironic is that she was a bland teacher.

0 comments: