Thursday, February 5, 2009

Summer in Winter

Last night I wanted to make and eat coleslaw and there was no food in the house! So my husband and I drove to get a cabbage and carrots in the middle of the night. While we were out in the freezing air I saw a guy in a white shirt thin white cotton beach pants and sandals get into his car! He was dressed like it was the hottest night of the year not the coldest. Today while walking Lily I saw a guy in shorts walking from his apartment to his car. I saw two girls from Beacon school walking with no coats or jackets! They stopped to greet Lily. I asked them how they do it. They said their homes are so warm the cold air doesn't bother them.

If you love coleslaw and have never made it try this: chop cabbage very fine and then grate a carrot or two and chop in an onion. Add mayonnaise and mustard and red wine vinegar to make a gloopy dressing. Also add salt and sugar. Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss. It's summer food but I love it. You can add chopped apples too. I always add raisins.

I love cabbage, it's actually a very sweet vegetable. You can make a simple delicious hot cabbage dish by slicing cabbage and sauteing in olive oil and then adding salt and a bit of water to steam it while cooking.

I've never made stuffed cabbage leaves but perhaps I should try that sometime.

0 comments: