Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chicken Soup

I am a lazy cook but I get inspired by bargains, and by good things kicking around my fridge. Last week my butcher was selling chicken breasts for a song. I bought four and threw them in my stock pot with a gallon of water, a gigantic Spanish onion chopped in fourths, a bunch of whole carrots, chopped celery, a one inch hunk of ginger root, cloves of fresh garlic, a head of fresh cilantro coarsely chopped, and Adobo seasoning. I simmered the soup until the chicken was cooked but still on the bone. I fished out and saved the chicken breasts, and cooled the soup overnight. I skimmed off the chicken fat which had risen to the surface, and added some olive oil. The soup is fabulous in a mug. I don't know why but soup in a big mug is much more fun than in a bowl when you are having lunch alone.

0 comments: