Friday, February 17, 2012

The Great Recession

I've been thinking a lot about my beloved Brighton Beach Grandparents Nat and Sophie and wish they were here to discuss the Great Depression with me. We have a lot more in common now but they are in heaven. Would I tell them of my finding unopened foods in the street and taking them home to eat? Would I tell them stories of my finding abandoned clothes in parks, and taking them home to wash and wear, maybe not.

My pal Joe Doherty is a magnificent writer and historian and he told me a Lincoln RI woman recalled from her childhood during the Depression, that her family kept Blackstone River snapping turtles in their basement for food. Another Woonsocket mother during the Depression used to hunt and trap squirrel fox raccoon muskrat and fish on the Blackstone River for her family.

We're getting ready.

0 comments: