Monday, December 2, 2013

Perpetual Tomato Sauce

In Precious Blood cemetery near my home I pass graves marked 'Perpetual Care.' I told my husband this morning, "This kitchen has perpetual tomato sauce." Tomato sauce as procrastination is something I learned from my mother. When in doubt make tomato sauce. My sauce is different than hers. My secret is lots of chopped black olives and celery. I buy the the inexpensive cans and I use extra virgin olive oil which is a bargain at Job Lot and I use fresh garlic and home-grown basil, oregano, and parsley. It simmers all day. Sometimes I make garbanzo beans and they are like mini meatballs. Other times I ladle sauce on slices of my bread toasted and I sprinkle Pecorino Romano cheese on top or I add slices of Pepper Jack for a fast and lazy spicy pizza.

0 comments: