Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Community Supper Snow Storm

The snow we got last night is so fluffy it was like make believe! I was able to shovel it all, twice. We got eleven inches! Luckily we don't have to shovel roof and garage this time. Late last night I walked to see a friend who lives a mile away and I was the only person out walking. I saw the dog-catchers mom sweeping her stairs. We chatted.

I walked home at one AM, Beautiful.

Long underwear is keeping us warm this winter. We have to keep the house at fifty degrees because our beloved honkin' steam cruise ship boiler uses oil, and oil is beyond expensive. We also use a quartz heater and electric radiator and electric hot shots, that we call our lap dogs. My curtains and drapes, help keep out the drafts.

I just signed on to bake loaves for Tuesday's community supper. I am excited. If they get the flour I will happily bake. They have an authentic restaurant style Garland gas stove, a real treat. The Mount Saint Charles high school jazz band is performing too at 4:30-5:30PM. It's going to be a spirit-lifter for the community.

Last night when we put out the buffet of serving trays full of ziti with tomato sauce, Parmesan chicken, French cut green beans, rolls and butter, green salad, hot coffee and chocolate and vanilla cakes. I saw all of my neighbors line up for supper. I had to look away because tears came. It's 1930 all over again.

0 comments: