Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Spontaneous Sweet Potato Scones

I didn't plan on making these until I saw the sweet potato waiting to be rescued.

Ingredients
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons shortening
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup low fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 cooked sweet potato
sprinkles of cinnamon to taste
a handful of sweetened dried cranberries, raisins or blueberries

taste test the batter to see if it needs more salt or sugar. . . .

Directions
Preheat oven. Mix dry ingredients in a big bowl. I like to crumble the shortening in with the flour using my fingers. Add yogurt, milk and beaten egg. Stir and scoop 1/4 scoops blobs onto greased pans. I use a greased cast iron skillet.


Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

They are light and delicious.

0 comments: