Thursday, December 13, 2018

6 Loaves of Bread

I mixed up 2 buckets of dough. I used a blend of flours and grains (whole wheat flour, rye flour, coarse cornmeal, pinhead oats, bread flour), sourdough starter, a tablespoon of Fleishmann's instant yeast, and 3 T kosher salt. I did this yesterday at 4PM and set it aside in the spare room which is 58 degrees and away from animals. At 4 AM I checked on the dough. It had risen to double the volume. I wondered if I could skip a cooling step and just shape it and bake it. When I tried the dough proved to be too slack. So I punched it down, refrigerated it for 2 hours and then I was able to shape it the way I normally do (into two softball-sized rounds in each greased glass loaf pan. Then I proofed it (warming the oven for 3 minutes) and it was ready to bake in 2 hours. Then I baked it at 450 from a cold oven. The 6 loaves came out great.

0 comments: