Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Raisin Brownies

Last night I was feeling sorry for myself having had no chocolate on Easter so I made a pan of brownies. I used a double boiler to melt the chocolate and butter on the stove top. Also, I added raisins instead of nuts. They came out "smidgy" as Laurie Colwin calls them in her book More Home Cooking. Laurie Colwin cookbooks are my favorite bedside reading.

I am sorry the chickens law didn't pass in last night's city vote, I was all ready to get a flock!

I love raisins and chocolate together!

RAISIN BROWNIES

2 (one-ounce) squares unsweetened baker's chocolate

1 stick unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup chopped raisins (or dried cranberries!)


Directions
Melt chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan in double boiler, stir in sugar. In a large bowl, add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Stir in butter chocolate sugar mixture and add flour, salt and raisins. Mix well. Pour into a buttered 8-inch-square baking pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

0 comments: