Monday, October 22, 2018

Swimming and Cooking

When I am not swimming laps to save my life I am often found in the kitchen cooking and baking. This is part of my seasonal cycle of mood swings. I am either swimming to lift my mood or cooking to celebrate it. Of course there are lots of other saving and celebrating activities in my life. I have noticed when I am not swimming regularly I am home in the kitchen cooking.

I also seem to think that because I swim and walk my dog for miles I will not gain weight but this is a myth and has been proven wrong countless times. I never seem to get it until I can't close my jeans. Still in denial I tell myself "They must've shrunk in the wash, from now on I'll only use cold water!"

Before I was swimming regularly I used to completely lose my appetite so on top of being low I was not eating anything. Then I wasn't able to sleep! That was awful. So swimming not only lifts my mood it gives me appetite. I just have to be realistic about my tendency toward exuberant portions and second and third helpings. I am lucky that I don't like sugary or deep fried foods but the foods I love I eat with abandon. Even healthy food can add up and on most days my fridge is only a staircase away.

0 comments: