Sunday, February 16, 2014

Shepherds Pie

I bought one pound ground round on Jamie's advice or if you use fattier beef like "chuck" drain it after you sautee. Place it in a dutch oven or a deep ovenproof pan you can add olive oil if it is too dry but it wont be. I added frozen corn and stirred it. You can add garlic or peas, or carrots. I layered my leftover cooked and goopy potato, blackeye peas goop that had occasional bite of chicken, and put it in the Dutch oven covered at 350 and I went out to shovel the roof. I came back an hour and fifteen minutes later. The aroma was the best reward. I was so overheated from shoveling I needed to shower and drink iced coffee. But when I finally recovered it was delicious lunch.

With this dish anything goes. Lori Colwin uses Worcestershire sauce and garlic. It's really meatloaf, in a geological formation. It is comfort food. We ate the leftovers stuffed inside red bell peppers warmed up, with raw carrots on the side while watching Law and Order reruns starring our favorite actor Vinny D.

New crack in ceiling leaks in living room, luckily not over the dining table!
Reminds me of my favorite kids book by Remy Charlip: Fortunately and Unfortunately.

0 comments: