Sunday, November 30, 2008

Food For Thought

Early this morning I watched watched Michael Pollan being interviewed on Bill Moyers TV show and I got inspired. Can we grow vegetables on the land behind the baseball field behind the nets on Woonsocket's Elbow Street? I have fantasized about a community garden in our urban neighborhood for years. Community garden or dog park! Here's a very good article by Michael Pollan of the NYT on his website.

Dora Fleurant, the woman who owned my house before me, owned the whole neighborhood! She used to have a big vegetable garden in her summer home in East Providence. She would do lots of canning and then would feed all the folks here in this neighborhood. Perhaps I can carry on this tradition with a garden right here this spring. Hopefully I won't knock down my vegetable plants shooting hoops!

1 Comment

Annalea said...

When my dad was growing up, his family had a neighbor much like the previous owner of your house. The neighbor would bring buckets full of produce to help my grandparents feed their family of five . . . and I attribute much of my dad's amazing health to being fed such good food when he was growing. If only more neighborhoods could do that now!