Sunday, September 22, 2013

Applesauce Factory

I decided to make applesauce from the four boxes (bushels?) of rescue apples from Francine and Jeff, rather than juice them. I couldn't stand the idea of the juicer's noise for hours in the kitchen.

I chopped out the bad spots and simmered the apples in a few inches of water. I used every large pot in the house. Then I processed the hot apple mush through my Foley food mill.

The smell was fabulous and the taste and color was divine. The sauce was naturally sweet. No additional sugar was added. I have filled my chest freezer with full containers.

I love to eat applesauce and home made yogurt combined. I love mush!

I am already dreaming of warm applesauce during our next blizzard.

Applesauce was the first food I learned to make when I was 2and a half and attending Mrs. Weatherbee's nursery school held at her home in Mamaroneck NY.

0 comments: