Thursday, September 26, 2013

Chicken Leg Soup

reposted from: A Man In The Kitchen

In your face, honest reviews of food and life

Recession Buster Chicken Leg Soup


Chicken Leg Soup? That’s right. It cheaper, cleaner and easier to make than the whole chicken.

It’s that time of year again for the flu, colds and the oldest remedy, Catholic Chicken Soup. Usually it’s Jewish Chicken Soup but I’m Catholic, so deal with it. As I was at the market I remembered my wife telling me that she was getting a cold so I decided that soup was the way to go but I was low on funds so I decided to be a little creative. This entire meal serves 4 people and costs about $2.00 a serving and has more nutrients than you got all day. No really. As I was going to the produce aisle I noticed a big bargain produce rack but of fruits and veggies that looked 98% perfect. For a total of $2.80 I picked up 18 huge organic carrots, 1 large onion, 1 large garlic, 2 tomatoes, a bunch of celery, 2 midget brussel sprouts, 5 mini squash and a partridge in a pear tree. The 6 chicken legs cost $2.30 and well, you do the math on the rest.

3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

6 Chicken legs

1 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped

2 Cloves Garlic, Minced

1 Large Onion, diced

4 Celery Stalks, chopped

3 Large Carrots, Sliced

2 Qts. Chicken Broth (64 Ounces)

In a large stock pot, heat oil on high, lay down chicken legs and sprinkle with rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 4 min on each side until they are a nice golden brown. DAMN THIS SMELLS GOOD! Lower the heat and add the onions, celery, carrots and simmer 10 min, stirring frequently. Add chicken broth and increase the heat to boil for about 20 minutes covered. Now lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Remove from heat, remove chicken legs and skim any fat that has floated to the top of the soup.

Serve soup in a large bowl with a chicken leg in each bowl with a nice thick crusty bread. This dish is fun, exciting and delicious. Oh yeah, and cheap.

0 comments: