Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hot Day Tomato Processing

It's 85 degrees and humid in my kitchen and believe it or not I am inside, boiling tomatoes! The other tomatoes are waiting their turn and are ripening as I am simmering the second batch. I ran the first batch through the food mill and decided to save the pulpy skin and seeds because they seemed too good to waste. I saw this article about using all the parts of the tomato. That said I will utry it in my time tested simple one switch Waring blender form the 1950's because I am terrified of immersion blenders.

My bio dad, who was not the man who raised me, looked like a cross between Dick Van Dyke and Abraham Lincoln. He was an advertising writer on Madison Ave in NYC. One of his earliest jobs was doing the bloop bloop sound effects for Sacramento tomato juice broadcast live over the radio.

I looked out the window and saw an empty plastic bag rolling towards me across the parking lot. I ran out and used it to pick up trash. My neighbors came out and started chatting and joining in. Sometimes the world is speaking to us and all we have to do is listen.

0 comments: