Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Affording Food

When people tell me they're on a diet I immediately think they must have money. Our diet is we cook and eat whatever we can get. We do try to make wise choices based on a limited budget and a big freezer. I am proud of the things I do to economize in my baking and cooking. We buy in bulk, we save all steaming broth for soup, we parboil our vegetables in spaghetti water, and we cook and bake with whey leftover from making yogurt cheese. Once you start to think of all the little ways to harvest, reuse, recycle you become a resourceful cook which in my world is superior to being a gourmet. My friend Rob's mom a professional traveling actress used to carry a hot plate in her suitcase so she could shop for basics and make a real meal in her hotel room. When people say I live alone why bother cooking, I say why not? Aren't you worth it? I don't understand not wanting to have a relationship to food, even in solitude.

0 comments: