Sunday, October 7, 2012

Rats

When I was a kid I was no stranger to rodents in fact loved them and all things miniature. I had a tiny doll house and little mouse houses for my mice dolls. I bred tropical fish in a small ten gallon tank in my bedroom and made hand drawn backdrops for them every few weeks that were visible through the back panel of glass. I would turn off the lights and be hypnotized by them swimming lit only by the fish tank lamp above. I also had about 30 gerbils. I continually bred them and traded them at my local pet store for cedar shavings pet litter, and bags of gerbil food. I was eleven.

One year on our Florida vacation my cousin took us to see the movie Willard and I totally freaked. The next year we went on vacation to Puerto Rico and stayed at the San Juan Hilton Hotel. One afternoon were standing outside in the sun admiring the flamingos when a small black rat darted out of the hotel bushes and ran over my foot. I screamed, terrified and my parents swooped in angrily "Shhh we're at a hotel."

If I had been in my husband's family they would've seen the humor and laughed heartily and told the story for years. I'm lucky, I can laugh now. I'm in his family.

0 comments: