Monday, February 17, 2014

Community in the Kitchen

When I was in college I got a job as a prep chef at LEO'S, a pub in downtown Providence famous for it's lofted ceilings, amazing art and excellent food. This was where I learned to cook as a prep chef. I made vats of chili, dozens of pecan pies, chocolate puddings, and spinach pies, salad dressings, tabouleh, hummus, and more. I made rib beef and chicken marinades, chicken white bean and spinach soup and best of all I had a lot of fun. The work was very physical with lots of lifting and pouring along with a healthy dose of joking and flirting. I loved it. I loved it a million times more than college. There was camaraderie and real support and endless banter. We were a family circus troupe. It was the first time people ever listened and laughed at my wisecracks. Now I'm back in the kitchen doing the dance of bread, salad and soup but this time as a volunteer for the community kitchen on my street.

0 comments: