Saturday, February 15, 2014

Shepherd's Daughter

This morning we are putting on our double layer snow pants to shovel the garage roof. I wear long underwear and bright orange sweat pants and hiking boots from 1980. It will take hours. We need to use the very long aluminum ladder to get up there. I am terrified of heights so I shovel blind, tossing the snow from 5 feet away. I've set up a Shepherd's pie using a pound of ground round we bought from Jamie last night and it is in the Dutch oven baking with corn and the potato-blackeye peas mush layer of leftovers on top. It will be ready when we are. I opened the door to the back yard and smelled skunk! Lily ran out, barked and looked around. I had to call her back in by shaking her biscuit tin so she wouldn't wake the neighbors. I convinced my husband to not go out on the road today. I have the urge to swim laps but shoveling will have to do. I have a great new book out Haldol and Hyacynths by Melody Moezzi. Hurray for Saturday. Last night I baked enough bread to feed an army. Maybe I'll bake a pumpkin pie during the storm. My new post shoveling beverage is home made iced mocha.

0 comments: