Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Multicultural Kale Soup

I showed up to register Bill's new used 1995 Honda sedan at the DMV and there was a line outside even before they were open! But it was sunny and beautiful out. Nice and crisp. When we were let in by an armed officer, the sun was streaming in on the old long birch benches. I sat and enjoyed people watching. Two young Indian men were speaking. I loved their accent. This registry could be a super location for a coffee bar with their huge plate glass windows and the view up Pond Street of the old brick mill and the octagonal brick gasometer building. The actual car registration was easy. They gave me RI plates!

I walked over to Jamie's and bought the gorgeous center cut pork chops on sale for 1.99. When I got home I added them to the two bunches of kale that I had chopped and steamed in my biggest pot, earlier this morning. I added the pork chops and freshly chopped onions, chopped sweet potatoes with the skin, smashed salted and chopped garlic, celery tops. Then I added rooster sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, red chilies, and a dash of hot schmaltz, that I've been saving in the back of the fridge for such an occasion then I added bloops of olive oil. The soup is fabulous. This kale soup is inspired by Portuguese, African, Jewish, Italian and Chinese cultures.

When I make soup things are not chopped to be uniform. Ladling my soups are more like fishing things out of the washing machine while it is still running. Bones and fat kept whole seem like shirts and sneakers. You have to keep your wits when you dine at my table. Just ask my husband, I've been known to throw whole cabbage leaves and un-pitted olives into a soup.

While I was out registering the car Sammy knocked the cutting board off the bowl of rising bread dough. I hope he didn't eat any, it would be bad for him. Eating fermenting sourdough is bad for cats and dogs it makes them sick. Years ago our dog Honey ate two small blobs of raw sourdough, and she was sick, staggering and drunk when we got home. It doesn't look like Sammy-the cat got any. I am hoping the noise of the cutting board hitting the floor scared him away. Sammy is more like a raccoon than a cat: Note to self hide rising dough in Bill's workroom.

0 comments: