Saturday, October 26, 2013

Perfect Pancakes

I just dusted off the 1950's waffle iron and made a batch of batter using my sourdough starter whole wheat flour, buttermilk and my homemade applesauce. The waffle iron broke mid bake, but we can fix it later. So I got the 1960's Westinghouse electric frying pan out and made pancakes while wrapped in blankets, standing at the quartz heater in my hat and three layers of fleece sweatshirts. I ought to put a flag out to get more eaters. Nobody would come to my cold-as-a-morgue ice house. Oh well, it's perfect for Halloween.

2 1/2 c whole wheat flour or I use my liquid sourdough starter w/ extra flour added
1/4 c brown sugar or I use white sugar and dark molasses combined
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-2 teaspoons kosher salt (to your taste)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (you can add ground ginger and ground cloves too)
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups buttermilk or yogurt (we get it at price rite)
1 cup home made applesauce or pumpkin puree, or banana puree
4 eggs beaten

Thin or thicken as needed. We are very relaxed and improvisational around here.

Add granola, raisins, seeds or nuts, or anything you wish! Have fun. Send me your inventions!!

These are the best pancakes in the world because they bubble up and are naturally light.

We might have to throw a 4AM pancake party!!!

0 comments: