Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Raw Tofu

We used to get tofu in huge buckets at the mail order food coop on Smith Hill in the 80's. I love tofu and when you have it fresh and on hand you find many uses for it. I made salad dressing with it and fried it and marinated and baked it. I love and crave all beans! Our friend Rodney Maxwell, master gardener, singer songwriter, used to grow soybeans and roast them. They were amazing. Endame?
I wish I did more gardening but I can't be in the summer sun. Maybe predawn gardening, by flashlight? Now there's an idea.
The Asian Supermarket FRIENDLY MARKET on Arnold Street has bulk tofu!! The Diamond Hill JobLot has rooster sauce!!
FRIENDLY MARKET
415 Arnold St.
Woonsocket, RI 02895
phone:(401) 597-0400

Yelp Review by Marlena V.

The name totally says it all.

Still on the prowl for a proper Asian market in the Woonie Bin, I stumbled upon a positive review for "Asian Fresh Produce Market." We took a quickie spin down the bizarre-looking Cato side street & winded up with convenient parking & an extremely spacious and well stocked 'lil market.

I -LOVE- their product section. So many inexpensive, fresh choices. Bok choy for $1.49? Mint, cilantro and basil for .99 cents? Seriously?! ....I winded up getting nothing I originally went in for after checking out their tea/beverage section. DIY boba-tea was calling my name. I also found my absolutely favourite pear/apple Korean BBQ sauce that even Asiana doesn't appear to carry anymore. Super psyched.

Toward the front there was also an extremely gracious array of prepared, tasty looking treats.

It is worth noting that they primarily carry southeast Asian grub so if you're looking to fix up a plate of Som Tam or Pad Thai you're in the right place. Oden or (Japanese) ramen? Not so much.

The owners are extremely friendly (the name, people, the name!) and since the last review in 2011, I do believe they accept credit now. (I spied a card processor on the counter but paid in cash.)

SO going back.

0 comments: