Thursday, November 15, 2012

Keep Your Hat On

I am so excited because I think I have figured out something important.

Yesterday friends from Rhode Island who have been teaching in Cypress came by for a visit. I was so excited and so was Lily. I prepared my favorite mismatched plates, mugs, silly pickle and Christmas tree butter knives, long stem spoons, honey in a small milk bottle, and black cherry and plum jams.

I made toast and placed it in a basket wrapped in a colorful striped cloth. I changed out of my drab black and gray into a red sweatshirt. I made a huge pot of PG Tips mixed with one bag of blueberry tea.

When they arrived I was able to sit still and listen. We laughed and told stories. Even Lily and Sammy stayed nearby. It had been 12 years since I'd seen them.

The sun was shining in the window lighting up the table. Then the doorbell rang and another friend joined us with warm rolls she baked. This never happens but I was thrilled!! It was a gathering of mad hatters.

Then sadly was time for everyone to go. It ended too fast! I must do this again.

The British figured out a perfect ritual.

Maybe I will sew some more cloth napkins, the ones I made 17 years ago are rags.

The trick to staying warm in our house is: wrap a blanket around your waist and keep your hat on!

0 comments: