Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Savory Improv Pie

I've been on a wheat-berry and barley roll ever since my friend John asked me about un-hulled barley and I found the remains of a 25 pound bag in the bottom of my chest freezer. I've been cooking a batch every week and freezing the extra for a fast meal.. Last night I took some cooked wheat and barley and placed it one inch deep like a (faux crust) in my glass pie pan. I placed some leftover (cooked) broccoli on top. The broccoli florets looked like like fallen trees on clumpy dirt. I poured 10 beaten eggs over everything and the egg disappeared into the "dirt". I then covered everything with overlapping thin round slices of provolone. I baked it at 350 for about 45 minutes, until it was done. It was delicious! It reminded me of a wheat-berry version of kugel.

0 comments: